Frequently Asked Questions
How do I talk to someone at the studio?
- The best way to communicate with anyone from the studio is to email us at [email protected] We can usually respond quicker. If you call the studio, we may not be in or we may be with students and unable to answer.
What classes do you have for my dancer (age)?
- Please register at www.kristysdanceacademy.com to see what classes are available for your child’s age group and preferred style.
How do I pay for dance?
- You can pay with credit card online at www.kristysdanceacademy.com Click on the upper right box labeled “register/sign in”. If you would like to pay with check or cash, please bring to the studio when your child has class. Crystal Nunnemaker, office manager, is usually there on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays from 430-730p. You can also sign up for auto draft. If you choose to do so, then your balance for the month will be drafted on the 15th of that month.
Can parents be in the classroom with their child or watch their child in class?
- We do not allow parents, grandparents, etc. in the classrooms with the children. We do not have a lot of room for spectators and over the years we have learned that our children do best when they do not have an audience as they are learning. We will have a recital at the end of the year so that you can see what they have learned. Crystal Nunnemaker and/or the teachers will meet your children at the door and assist them to class. We do understand that this can be scary for our Discovery and their parents. Our staff have years of experience and know that the children may cry at first. If this is the case, we will follow the parent’s lead as to if we take the child back or they leave with them and try again another time. If your child was crying when we take them back, Crystal checks in with the teacher throughout the class to see how they are adjusting and will keep you informed.
How can my child be on the competition dance team?
- Dancers must be with us for at least a year to be on the dance team. We have try outs in the spring and send out information regarding try-outs and the upcoming competition season at that time.
What happens in inclement weather and if schools are closed?
- KDA puts the safety of our children and staff first. In the event of inclement weather, please check your email or follow us on Facebook to see if we are closed. We have children from multiple school districts and do not follow a certain school calendar. Please see our web page and Facebook page for closures, special events, holidays, etc. Make-up classes will be held at the discretion and convenience of the program director.
What do I need to do if my child will be out or they can no longer attend?
- Please email us to let us know if your child will be out. You will still be charged for this class because it is set as a monthly fee and we are holding your child’s space. We can not do make-up classes if your child misses, this is only an option if KDA has to close. If your child can no longer attend classes, please notify Crystal Nunnemaker or send an email asap. You will continue to be charged for the class until we have been notified. All fees are non-refundable.
What are your fees?
- We have monthly tuition depending on the number of classes your child or family take. Please see our website for the rates. We also have a one time registration fee of $25 and a year end performance/recital fee of $40 that will be added to your account in April. Costume fees will be added in October and November for the dancers in classes that require costumes.
Can I rent the studio for a private event?
- Please contact Kristy Neely through email to discuss any private events.
Can my child attend if they are not potty trained or just learning?
- Yes, just have them wear a diaper or pull up and bring extra and a change of clothes.
What should my dancer have in their dance bag?
- All dance shoes for classes with their name on all shoes, tights, leotard, hair ties, brush/comb, water bottle, change of clothes
- older dancers-deodorant, personal items, first aid kit, hairspray, snack–if there for multiple classes
- They should not bring anything valuable such as jewelry or money and toys, etc. The studio/staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Dance Gear, Shoes, and Costumes
Where do I order leotards, skirts, dance shorts?
- KDA can order these items for your dancer. However, you can also purchase them anywhere, Amazon, Walmart, www.discountdance.com, etc. We do not have a color or style requirement for these items.
Where do I order shoes and tights?
- Shoes and tights are ordered through KDA at our online store. We try to keep tights on hand. If your child needs shoes, please let Crystal Nunnemaker know. She will size your child. No, most dance shoes do not follow conventional street shoe sizes. The only shoe that she can order without sizing is the contemporary shoe. Ballet and Tap shoes must be sized. If you have shoes that are being passed down from someone else, you are welcome to wear them. Go to our website and click on the Dance Gear tab. You can also click on this link to order: https://www.shopnimbly.com/kristysdanceacademy
What shoes and dance wear do I need to buy for my dancer?
- All tap classes require leotard, tights, and tap shoes. Please see Crystal Nunnemaker to see what style tap shoe your child will need and to be sized.
- Discovery, Dazzle and Dazzle/Sparkle Ballet and Jazz classes: leotard, tights, and ballet shoes
- Sparkle, Emerald, and Diamond Ballet and Jazz classes: leotard, tights, and contemporary shoes.
- Tumbling classes: your child can wear leotard and tights (preferably convertible and stirrup tights—we carry both). If they are only in tumbling, they can wear t-shirt and shorts. We do recommend the leotards for females so they don’t have to worry with their shirts riding up. No shoes are needed.
- Fitness/Ninja Classes/Hip Hop: t-shirt and shorts but if your child is in other classes they can wear leotard and tights. Regular tennis shoes need to be worn for this class.
Will my child need a costume for recital and how will you know what size?
- Costumes will be ordered for dancers in ballet, tap, and jazz classes. If they are in one or more of these classes, they will only need 1 costume. We do a combo costume and change shoes for the different class routines. Crystal Nunnemaker will size all dancers in the fall and order costumes. The fees are due in October and November.
Are the routines and costumes appropriate?
- Yes, we are age appropriate with our music, style of dance, and costumes. You are welcome to look through our photo album at past costumes to see what we wear. Please ask Crystal Nunnemaker where this is located. We do celebrate the various holidays. We send out a schedule of events and we post on Facebook.